...my thoughts on film and all things film-related. These are the unpopped kernels at the bottom of the popcorn bag, charbroiled nuggets of movie insight that even the microwave's radiation wouldn't touch. Dig in!

7.02.2007

Enter the Scourge of Blockbuster

Movies have their servants who, like ghosts, inhabit those storied
halls. --
movie maven

In getting this blog off the ground, I'd like to be the first to stand up and say that I have a problem that needs to be addressed. To those ends, this site is meant as a platform from which I might springboard from the nuisance of obsession straight into full-blown dementia! You are welcome to come along for the ride if you like. The train is about to set sail.

If you visit and would be inclined to return, I'll give you a hint of what is to come. Sensibly, I plan to begin in the middle. Dive right in, I say! I wouldn't have the stomach for something as dry and sterile as compiling the historical, chronological events that have gotten us to this point in the evolution of cinema.

I'll do my best to keep an up-to-date accounting of what I'm in the middle of right now. For instance, I own a 5-disk DVD changer, and the current rotation is as follows: The Proposition, Syriana, Napoleon Dynamite, The Squid and the Whale, and The Prestige. To explain the post title, The Prestige is now three days overdue. :)

I will pair my reviews of first-run films and force them to fight to the death in segments I'm tentatively calling "Movies of Most Recently". If one of the movies taps out, loses consciousness, or starts to cry from all the criticism, the fight is over. May the best film win (or the one that endears itself most to my sensibilities). Studio execs should know that I can be bribed.

I especially intend to stage some mock-interviews with some notable directors and find out exactly what words I would put in their mouths to justify the abyssmal failures that grace their filmographies. If I make a point or two along the way that supports my cinematic world-view and offends yours, so be it -- a neat trick if you consider that I'm basically talking to myself here.

That's all I've got for now.

If all we could ever hope for is that they keep making the movies that tell us who we are, then thank God we're clueless. -- movie maven

No comments: